The Branick and Devenzio Law Firm - For Family, Criminal,
Disability & Injury Law & Mediation in the Greater Port Arthur Area

Over 35 Years of Legal Expertise Working for You
Toll Free 855-724-7446
Call today 409-724-7446
221 HWY 69 || STE 100 || NEDERLAND, TX
FAX: 409-724-7449
Branick, Walston & Devenzio, Attorneys, Nederland, TX

Motor Vehicle Accidents

As a local Board Certified attorney who has been named as an Outstanding Your Lawyer in Jefferson County, Texas, Trent has continued to strive to help his clients find the best outcome for his client’s needs. With two decades of legal experience, he will personally handle your case.

Frequently Asked Questions

People involved in an auto accident often have many questions as they sometimes get caught in the “run around” following an accident. Below are some of the more common questions:

I do not have time take care of all of the paperwork and phone calls regarding the accident, can you help? - Yes, as part of our service to you, it will be our pleasure to remove the stress of dealing with this difficult situation. Our goal is to free you up to focus on regaining your health.

How much is my case worth? – The settlement value of a case depends on several factors including the following: whether the cause of the accident is clearly the fault of the other driver, the nature and the extent of the resulting injury, whether there are any pre-existing medical condition, the severity of the impact between the vehicles, whether the injured person lost any income, and the length and quality of needed health care.

Should I get health care after an accident? – The law says that you are entitled to reimbursement for health care that is necessary to treat an injury caused by an accident. In this regard, one should make the same health care decisions that you would normally make regarding your health, i.e., whatever is in the best interest of your health should guide your health care decisions.

How do I pay for health care after an accident? – Ultimately, the insurance company for the other driver will pay for your reasonable and necessary medical bills; however, they will reimburse you for this cost in a lump sum when the case is settled. In the interim, you should pay for your needed health care with cash, your health insurance, personal injury protection on your own auto policy, and/or Medicaid or Medicare. In some instances, some doctors will agree to wait and be paid when your case settles.

What does the insurance company owe for my property damage? – If the car can be fixed, you have the right to have your car repaired to the same condition it was before the accident by any reputable body shop that you chose. You are also entitled to be reimbursed for a rental vehicle for a reasonable period of time. If your car is totaled, you are entitled to reimbursement for the fair market value of your vehicle.

Tips and Suggestions

Know your injury - Following an accident, don’t settle your case until you and your doctor identify the true nature of your injury. If you settle your case and then find out you are hurt worse than you thought, you cannot start over.

Pay your medical bills – While it is true that the other driver’s insurance will ultimately pay your bills, this will take a while. In the meantime, protect your credit by paying your outstanding medical bills however you can.

Document your lost wages – If you lose income due to injuries following an accident, the law says that you are entitled to reimbursement for these losses. Be sure and keep documentation of your lost wages as they are incurred. This is especially important if you own your own business.

Photograph evidence – Be sure and photograph the scene as soon as possible following an accident, skid marks and other debris can quickly be lost. Be sure and take pictures of your vehicle from all angles before the repairs are started. Finally, be sure and take pictures of scrapes and bruises.

Statements – Giving a statement to an insurance adjuster can be important to the resolution of your case. However, if you are planning to consult with an attorney, hold up on giving a statement until after you have talked to an attorney.